Whenever I pitch about NSX to customer, I always start with the use cases. On-target questioning and in-depth listening to customer’s pain points are important, so we can collaborate together to solve their issues and going beyond that to enhance their innovations.
For me, it is not relevant right now to describe the byte per-byte features and bit per-bit capabilities for first/second meeting. We can go with those approach “later on” of course if customer would like to know in-depth, or we are in the stage of proofing the technology as long as we already understand their goal and pain points.
But, to understand customer’s expectation and give them “BEYOND” than their expectation is always been our goal when doing a professional consultation with them.
Anyway, these are some common use cases that we can use to do collaborative discussion with customers that we can put a “laser focus” later on. There are around ~16 use cases that VMware NSX (Network Virtualization) can bring new benefits or additional capabilities to customers and make their life simpler.
- Security Use Cases
- Network Segmentation
- Microsegmentation for Securing VDI Infraastructure
- Intelligent Grouping for Unsupported Operating System
- Automated Security in a Software Defined Data Center
- Advanced Security (IDS/IPS) Insertion (ex: Palo Alto Network NGFW)
- Collapsed DMZ
- Integrate Dev, Test, and Prod environment into single infrastructure
- Securing access to and from Jump Box servers
- Application Continuity Use Cases
- Multisite Networking and Security
- Data Center Consolidation/Migration (Merger & Acquisition)
- Hybrid/Public Cloud Integration
- Disaster Recovery
- Automation Use Cases
- Self Service IT
- Fast Application Deployment of Template
- Business Values deriving Use Cases
- Island of Unused Compute Capacity by leveraging Stretch and Bridge
- Reducing Capital Outlay in expensive Hardware Devices
Those are 16 new use cases or additional use cases that we can discuss with customers if we would like to talk how VMware NSX can make their life easier now. I will leverage on the use cases later on, or you can contact VMware Inc. or their partners to help you solve your issues and put a small and easy step to modernize your data center!